Flushing Raider Early College (FREC)
Congratulations to our current Early College students. Flushing Raider Early College (FREC) and Genesee County CTE/EMC has 86 students participating in these programs Fall Semester of 2022. These students are enrolled in a total of 809 Mott Community College (MCC) credits this semester and have an overall tuition savings of $145,852.12 in costs paid for by the State and District for these college courses. Our compliments and congratulations to these students working towards obtaining an Associate’s Degree and or Certifications at the completion of these programs.
Genesee County CTE Early Middle College (CTE/EMC)
CTE/EMC Information: Link to CTE/EMC Website
What is Flushing Raider Early College?
- Flushing Raider Early College is designed to allow a pupil to earn a high school diploma and either a minimum 60 transferable college credits, an associates degree, the Michigan Early/Middle College Association (MEMCA) technical certification, or an industry certification.
- Flushing Raider Early College is a five-year high school program designed to earn a high school diploma and substantial college credit through an additional fifth year of study.
The Three E's of Early College
- Early Entrance: 11th grade students enter a college program while still in high school. They benefit from a curriculum that enables them to earn their high school diploma and earn college credits with no/minimal cost to themselves for tuition, fees, and books.
- Early Exit: Students may complete the program with a minimum of 60 transferable credits. Flushing Raider Early College students attend high school classes as well as college courses. This moves them ahead of a traditional schedule with college credits that match the students' chosen career pathway.
- Early Success: Once the students complete the program, they are poised for immediate success. Students have the option to begin work immediately in their chosen field (if applicable) or to continue to work toward a Bachelor's degree.
Benefits of an Early College
- Earn transferable college credits.
- College classes taught at FHS in 11th and 12th grade.
- Ease the transition from high school to college.
- Connection to other students through this unique cohort experience.
- Dedicated support staff to mentor/assist students.
- Reduced financial burden.
Who can Apply?
- Students interested in continuing their education beyond high school.
- Students fully willing to commit to an extra (5th) year with the Flushing Raider Early College by signing a contract/agreement.
- Students and parents supportive of extra time commitment, different academic calendar, and are committed to the program requirements.
- Minimum requirements to apply include: 2.0 GPA, Review of Standardized Test Scores and/or Placement Tests, Student Application with Essay, Teacher Feedback, and additional criteria.
Any questions regarding FREC or CTE/EMC can be directed to the Early College Director, Nicole Lord, by email or phone at 810-591-3871.