Preparing Learners Today for Opportunities Tomorrow
Flushing Community Schools takes a great deal of pride in the academic performance of all students. Our goal is to provide a learning environment where each student is encouraged to excel to the best of their ability.
The current Long Range Educational Plan was developed in the Fall of 2016. The team involved in the process of developing this plan included staff, students, parents, the community members, and the Board of Education. Below are the highlights from the plan.
Teaching and Learning
Goal: Flushing Community Schools provides research-based curriculum and instructional methods that facilitate achievement for all students.
- Expand the continuum of educational services to better address the needs of all students by providing a variety of instructional programs.
- Continue to align curriculum to meet Michigan State Standards in a manner that results in a rigorous and innovative learning environment that is relevant, meaningful, and engaging.
- Increase student engagement through the use of relevant technology that enhances instructional strategies and educational programs.
Documenting and Using Results
Goal: Flushing Community Schools enacts a comprehensive assessment system that monitors and documents performance and uses these results to improve student performance and school effectiveness.
- Train staff in the identification, interpretation, and use of relevant data systems.
- Maintain an accessible data management system to facilitate the use of data by instructional staff.
- Analyze data through a collaborative process to provide effective instructional practices and educational programs.
Resources and Support Systems
Goal: Flushing Community Schools has the resources and services necessary to support its mission and vision, and to ensure achievement for all students.
- Human Resources: Employ, develop, and continuously evaluate qualified staff to fulfill assigned roles and responsibilities while meeting requirements of federal and state laws.
- Financial Resources: Continue to engage in responsible fiscal planning to ensure sufficient financial resources exist to support district programs.
- Physical Resources: Maintain and continuously improve facilities, equipment, technology, and services to ensure a caring, safe, and orderly learning environment.
- Support System: Provide support, services, and programs necessary to meet the physical, social and emotional needs of all students.
Stakeholder Communications and Relationships
Goal: Flushing Community Schools fosters effective communications and relationships with and among its stakeholders.
- Provide multiple opportunities to share and gather information with the stakeholder community through a variety of school events and communication platforms.
Commitment to Continuous Improvment
Goal: Flushing Community Schools establishes, implements, and monitors a continuous process of improvement that focuses on student performance.
- Develop, implement, and monitor district and individual school improvement processes to increase student achievement and maintain a positive school culture.
- Embrace opportunities to improve while achieving and maintaining district accreditation.
- Provide meaningful, research-based professional development determined by the school improvement process.
Special Education, Title I and At-Risk
The Flushing Schools provides programs that guarantee all handicapped persons the opportunity for an education appropriate to their needs. Services for Title I and At-Risk students are provided based upon need. Students are provided instruction utilizing the computer labs before, during, and after school.
Alternative, Community Education, and Pre-School
The school district operates an alternative education program for ages 16-20 years. Specialized classes are offered to students to obtain a high school diploma.
Community Education provides a wide variety of youth and adult enrichment and recreation opportunities throughout the entire year. Click on the Community Services link found in the left side bar and then click on Enrichment to see the current listing of Community Education being offered.
A full pre-school program is offered including Head Start and At-Risk classes. The At-Risk classes are for eligible four-year old children to prepare them for school.